The Owens Clan

Hello! Dave and I have been married for 31 years. We have two boys. Daniel is 25 years and Brian is 24 years. And we have three baby girls (kitty cats). Victoria is 11 years, Ellie Mae is 10 years old and Goldie has been with us for 5 blessed years.

This blog is about our journey through life.

Friday, June 1, 2007

What would you do? What would Jesus do?

Most of you know by now about the Goodwill worker that found over $5,000.00 cash in a pair of pajamas while working in the storage room. She found the money wrapped up in the clothes, inside a box of donated items. She immediately handed the money into managemet. The local news channel and newspaper here caught wind of it and ran a story about it. An add was placed asking anyone to contact Goodwill if they thought it was their money. If the caller could identify the amount and the note that was attached, the money was there's. This story ran nationwide, including on the internet. No one successfully claimed the money.



Here's the story on the Goodwill worker. Her name is Kelli Owens. She is 21 years old. She is a single mother with three children. Now, what would you do? What would you do if you were her? Calls, letters and even donations have poured in from around the nation prasing this woman for doing what most people would have never done. After thirty days, the money was hers. Well, sort of. Because it is Goodwill's policy to help improve employees lives by providing jobs and training, the money did not go to her free and clear. Goodwill set up a trust fund for her to go to college. She is planning on taking three semesters at the Greenville Technical College to earn a certificate in police dispatching. Goodwill feels like this would benefit her more, long term.



Here is where it gets interesting. The other day I came home and was listening to my messages. There was a call from a woman, I did not know. She said, "If this is the home of Kelli Owens, I just wanted to say that I am so proud of you. You really are a good person with a good heart. The whole nation is proud of what you did and I hope you go really far in life." (My number is listed as K. Owens in the directory) Now this whole story has more meaning to me. The caller's voice was so compastionate, so emotional, and so real. I was amazed at the outpouring of complete strangers to this woman. I hope that we can all feel proud of ourselves, or someone we know and love for being able to do something wonderful. So, what would you have done? What would Jesus have done?





No comments: